About the Course
This course is designed for UiTM degree students focussing on oral communication theory and practice emphasising the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication skills. Learning takes place through various activities to enhance learners’ ability to use the correct language for a presentation, exploit various materials and sources, and use visual aids appropriately in oral presentations. At the same time, students will be exposed to basic computer skills as speech activities are to be recorded and uploaded in various formats.
This course aims to develop the strategies and skills necessary for effective oral presentations to participate in speech communication activities confidently and competently.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to verbally present informative speeches, idea pitching, and persuasive speeches as well as display appropriate values and attitudes when presenting informative and persuasive speeches.
1. UiTM degree students
1. Basic principles of speech communication: speaking effectively in public, speech communication process, ethics in speaking and listening, and effective listening
2. Theoretical aspects of informative and persuasive speeches
3. Informative speeches: speech topic, audience, attention getter, facts and figures in charts/graphs, recommendation, language and terminology for research findings, and personalising speech
4. Persuasive speeches: speech topic, audience, language and terminology, personalising speech, credibility, pitching skills, evidence to persuade, reason with the audience, and appealing to the emotions
5. Preparing and delivering the presentations:
a. researching topics and selecting relevant information from reliable sources
b. determining presentation aims and structure
c. drafting the speech outline
d. using accurate, appropriate, and comprehensive language
e. using verbal and non-verbal aspects of delivery
f. determining and designing visual aids
g. making appropriate conclusions and recommendations
1. Informative Speech︱35%︱6-10 minutes︱Weeks 7-8
2. Pitching︱20%︱3-5 minutes︱Weeks 10-11
3. Persuasive Speech︱45%︱8-10 minutes︱Weeks 13-14
1. 11/10/2021 - 28/1/2022︱*October 2021-February 2022 session lecture (UiTM)
2. 11/10/2022 - 27/1/2023︱*October 2022-February 2023 session lecture (UiTM)
Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr Mah Boon Yih
Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr Mah Boon Yih, a Professional Technologist, Microsoft Certified Educator, Microsoft Educator Trainer (2022-2023), Microsoft Innovative Educator Master Trainer (2021-2022) and Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (2021-2023), is an Associate Professor at the Academy of Language Studies, UiTM Penang Branch, Malaysia.