About the Course
This course is designed for UiTM diploma students to raise their proficiency to the intermediate level for listening, speaking and reading skills. Integrating language skills with an emphasis on listening helps the students perform effectively and competently in social and academic contexts. The student's abilities to use the language will be enhanced by exploiting a variety of materials in varied situations. Appropriate consideration is given to the development of higher-level grammatical construction, vocabulary expansion, and extensive reading activities that are intended to increase students’ lexical density.
This course aims to build the learners' listening, speaking, and reading skills and help them perform effectively and competently in social and academic contexts.
At the end of the course, the participants should be able to perform at the intermediate level of listening attentively and expressing ideas confidently based on various settings, listening and responding in writing by applying a variety of listening skills based on various listening discourses, as well as reading and writing based on selected reading materials.
1. UiTM diploma students
1. Listening: oral information, key words recognition, key transitions, grammatical relationships, stress and intonation, phonological cues, listening input, listening strategies, key points identification and selection, recalling to take notes, predicting meaning, as well as schemata and contextual clues to infer
2. Speaking: conversation strategies, language functions, and oral expression of ideas in given situations
3. Reading: general reading strategies, the structure of a passage, mechanics used in reading texts, paraphrasing, summarising, and information arranging
4. Grammar: nouns, verbs/subject-verb agreement, articles and determiners, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, simple present tense, simple past tense, simple future tense, present continuous tense, and past continuous tense
1. 11/10/2021 - 28/1/2022 ︱*October 2021-February 2022 session lecture (UiTM)
Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr Mah Boon Yih
Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr Mah Boon Yih, a Professional Technologist, Microsoft Certified Educator, Microsoft Educator Trainer (2022-2023), Microsoft Innovative Educator Master Trainer (2021-2022) and Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (2021-2023), is an Associate Professor at the Academy of Language Studies, UiTM Penang Branch, Malaysia.